Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lighter life food packs - what are they like?

After finding out that all I ate for 15 weeks were food packs people want to know what is in them and what are they like.

I have no idea what is in them - lots of chemicals probably. The do include all the essential nutrients you need to keep your body going. They are almost zero carbohydrate content. This is one of the main roles of the food packs - to help your body go into ketosis because of the lack of carbs. I think there are also ingredients that keep you feeling full but I could be wrong here.

The flavours are just flavours. I'm sure there are no strawberries in the strawberry shake. When I started the lighter life diet I tried out all the flavours. The soups were quickly reduced to one favourite flavour, Thai Chilli. The shakes were much better and I enjoy them all. My favourites are vanilla, caramel and chocolate. I often make them into a cold mocha chillo shake by adding some instant coffee.

The food bars are the source of great discussion in our diet group as we all like different ones for different reasons. My favourite is the nutty bar but I also like the toffee and the cranberry bars.

I'm not sure you could ever say you like the food packs. They are what they are - a tool to help you lose weight. I have noticed that real food tastes much better now having been deprived for so long. Even salad leaves and radishes acheive a gourmet rating at the moment. They taste terrific. My wife has pointed out the I eat very slowly now - this is a good thing. I used to eat food in a big rush but now I tend to enjoy the flavours and textures much more.

I have only 3 weeks to go now and then no more food packs for me. I may use them to supplement my diet when I need to for the odd week but other than that I'm all for real food now.

No comments: